Saturday, December 11, 2010

Last Words from a Graduating Senior

This is a sad day for me because this is my last blog.  As a December graduate, I've spent the past week reminiscing on the past four years.  How did it go so fast?  Here are the top 10 things I wish I knew while I attended Indiana University.

1. You don't need to have your books the first day of class unless you really want to get used texts. It's better to buy online and sometimes there are electronic or reserved copies of textbooks at the library that you don't need to pay for (professors rarely tell you about this!) Some good online shops: chegg.com, campusbooks.com, and amaazonbooks.com.

2. Indiana University has one of the biggest selesctions of foreign language courses in the world, so please advantage of it. Think about how much your resume will stand out if you speak something other than French or Spanish.

3. Teter Residence Hall is the best! Yes, I'm being biased, but it's true.  It's in the best location, right in the center of campus. Also, when you get hungry at 3 a.m. you can run to several late-night eateries across the street (i.e., Village Pantry, Pizza X, Fortune Cookies, Jimmy Johns and more).

4. If you want to leave your room to study, you should reserve the Wells Library for last. My favorite study place is the Indiana Memorial Union because they have big comfy couches (also, the cushions are removable and make great pillows).

5. If there is something that you want to do or get done, then tell everyone. Let everyone know your goal, because you never know who or what they could know to help you. Networking is a vital thing that you should practice while in college. You have to make your own opportunities in life.

6. The classes that you think will be the easiest turn out to be the most time consuming. I thought it would be a breeze with most of my last semester being fine arts classes, but I soon realized I had never spent so much time on classwork before.

7. Take morning classes because it's better to get them out of the way early.

8. There is free food everywhere. Look for posters, sidewalk chalkings, and check Indiana University's website for events. Many times the happenings on campus offer free food, and you might make a new friend in the process.

9. I don't want to sound like a professor here, but get things done early. There have been countless times where I made my life hard by waiting until the last minute to complete an assignment. Spending the weekend catching up on the last season of "Glee" isn't worth it.

10. Finally, technology can be your enemy. Save and back up everything! I cant stress this enough. Take this advice from someone who lost a 22-page paper thanks to a computer malfunction. The paper was due in 20 minutes, and after I went through the seven stages of grief I talked to my professor. (Side note: Professors are actually more understanding than you might think!!)

I hope this advice has been helpful. As my Indiana University career comes to an end, I am excited about what life has in store. No matter what choices you make while here in college, make sure you have no regrets. My favorite quote is: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift, that's why they call it the present."  

No comments:

Post a Comment